- 4 cups soft bread cubes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- VANILLA SAUCE
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
When I started this I realized I had no raisins so I used Cranberries instead.
It’s also very good with Pecans on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 7×11 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, raisins, and apples. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 3/4 cups milk, and 1/4 cup margarine. Cook and stir until margarine is melted. Pour over bread mixture in bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish, and pour egg mixture over bread.
- Bake in preheated oven 40 to 50 minutes, or until center is set and apples are tender.
- While pudding is baking, mix together sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup margarine in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Serve over bread pudding.